10.23.2007

William Morris


As I said, Monday I spent my studio morning at the Pumpkin Patch with the girls and of course they had a blast. Since the kids go to school 30minutes away from where we live and the girls get done with school at 12:30, I ended up having some time I had to kill after the field trip. I've learned in the last two years that spreading the Christmas/Santa shopping out over the course of three months is the best thing for our budget so I was off the my favorite discount haunts to find some treasures. This trip turned out to be not very successful for the kids but I was thrilled to find a wonderful book on the Arts and Crafts movement that was dirt cheap for me! I use a lot of furniture and fabric books when I get stuck on something to make or a new pattern to inspire me. I have always loved anything made during this movement especially the patterns that William Morris created. There is something about the flow and detail of his sketches, fabrics and wallpaper that I can view and find new things for hours. They are almost like looking at old stain glass windows. Your eye gets lost in the color and endless pattern that goes on. If you ever get a chance to go the Virgina Museum of Art in Richmond Virginia, it has one of the best Arts and Crafts display that I have seen in any museum.


Here are the girls!

3 comments:

Kate Frichtl said...

Jen: I LOVE WMorris!! In fact, when we fixed up our RI house, we splurged and spent 200 bucks on real WMorris printed wall paper for our half bath. Granted, we could only paper half the wall so we did bead board underneath. It was my favorite room in the house. and an expensive one to boot. I highly doubt the new owners appreciate it like I did.
Must be my textiles background.
Have a good day!
Kate

Judi Tavill said...

your girls are sooooooooo cute! I have boys.

Jen Mecca said...

Kate,
My sister I think has some of that! Lucky dog! J


Judi,
I have'nt forgotten about voting for you...I'll get to it. ( Aydan just told me she hates it when I'm on the computer). I have to admit, dressing girls is fun but I dread the teenage years with them!!!j