8.25.2008

Transitions

Summer just seemed like a splash of light that flew by for me.

Today was the second week of school for the kids and since I got back to my normal "school day" of getting everyone up, fed, to school, quick clean-up, a brisks walk and then out to work...I realised that something about today was different. For the first time I really did take note of all the time I had to myself. All the work I was getting done. All the sounds around me. And the fact that all my kids for 7 hours, 5 days a week will be ....with someone else. It was a strange feeling.

As I worked I realised that here I was, like every other potter without children who planned their day just as if they where off to some 9 to 5 job. For a moment I even said to myself " wow, I'm not going to have to come work out here every night now?". Of course when I took note of everything else on my plate, I realised that that statement most likely won't come true that often. But being home from 9 to 2:30 is such a long stretch of time for me with NO ONE around! This hasn't been my world in the last 7 years.

I realised what a transition this is going to be for me in the next few weeks. I had such an urge to call school and could not wait to see their little faces at 3. Last week I was so wrapped up in the beginning of school and my Art History course that the days flew by. I guess being in my studio, throwing pots and having the silence all around made me go to that place we all go when we are doing those repeated motions of throwing and our mind wonders here and there. The clouds where in and out today so I had sun and rain on and off. This can also play with your mind and mood.

We have lots of transitions going on in our house-hold. I can only think that new adventures open so many doors even though it may be scary to walk through them.

Today was a very interesting day......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean about that stretch of time while kids are in school - it feels luxurious. I wasn't ready for school to start and am having a hard time disciplining myself to work in the studio during those hours. The temptation to do other things is all too great. Now that a full week has passed, this week I get down to business.

Jen Mecca said...

Cynthia,
I'm right there with you! Some days I feel like I need to walk right in the house with blinders on to avoid all the mess I get caught up in cleaning! jen