2.22.2009

Workshop at Clayworks

I'm always so amazed at how small the world really is. It seems lately that I've gotten the chance to re-connect with people that I haven't seen in years and its been such a great feeling!


This was true yesterday when I attended a workshop given by Allison McGowen. Back in 1998 when I was in grad school I got the opportunity to be a studio assistant for Silive Granitelli and Allison was one of the work study gals in the class. At that time I remember her being very motivated and eager to get as much out of her experience and the class that she could. Since than she has gone on to do great things and lucky enough to attend Alfred for graduate school. Her pots these days are so interesting and I really enjoyed listening to how she worked out her idea's to get to the point she is at now. The workshop was really well attended and it was nice to see other faces from the Charlotte clay community.




The added bonus about reconnecting with Allison is that she is living on the other side of Charlotte these days and is also a mom of young children. Knowing there are young, successful pottery mom's sprouting up all over these days makes me feel not so in the minority anymore.


Check out Allison's website when you get the chance!

3 comments:

barbara chadwick said...

It was great to see you at the workshop! Sorry I had to leave early- I'm sure I missed some good stuff. I wanted to see how Allison made her lids.

xo
b.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

that is some gorgeous work there, and speaking of small world? On Friday I rec'd a letter here in New York from Clayworks, at Ron's suggestion, asking for a donation to the auction at clayworks. I sent a piggy teapot which I am sure will raise tons of money.

Jen Mecca said...

Gary- Ron said you had donated a pot to clayworks! Thanks..it is for the good cause. Jen