1.09.2010

Happiness is....

is a working pugmill! Handyman PHILBECK showed up Friday afternoon to bail me out of my embarrassing mistake. Boy is it great to know how to take my pugmill apart now and while also being able to ask someone what all those parts are!
It only took Ron like 1/2 to have me up and going. Ron wanted to me to tell everyone that he does work for food, although he wasn't able to eat on Friday because he had to dash back to Shelby.
While Ron was here I was sort of going back and forth with a technical guy from Skutt about my kiln. From just this little photo below he was ready to sell me a new kiln because he said to me "by the looks of just this part, I imagine you need some other parts as well for this kiln"! I have to admit that some days, a comment like this just rubs me the wrong way. Long story short he tried to talk me into a bunch of parts and all I wanted for the time being is just the Tube Assembly because I have to get going on work for a show the first month in February. He has me taking the whole metal casing off my kiln to replace the bricks and everything else under the sun. I was voicing my frustration to Ron when he showed up and he made the suggestion that I should just wrap kiln wire around the tube to hold it together! It got me thinking how if your a real frugal potter who doesn't have cash laying around all the time to fix everything 100%, you can get pretty creative in making it all work someway or another.
(FYI...for those of you who do not know this, that element hanging down on my cases was the cause' for it falling apart although I'm sure the good knock I gave it with a kiln shelf one day, didn't help the matter either.)

Doing a bunch of hard labor can be so rewarding. I still love to get dirty!

6 comments:

claydancer said...

Congratulations getting the pug going. I like reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

glad your back up and running! good post..

carter gillies said...

Ron is a god!

Just curious, how do you plan on keeping that element from contacting the tube again? Will you mortar a slice of soft brick in place? Also, if you are just needing to fix/replace your tube, I wonder if any of your blog readers/potter friends have old kilns with spare parts they can send you. Potters tend to be such wonderful sharing people by nature, maybe someone will have something for you.

Good luck!

ang design said...

super news on both counts! yey for ron...

Ron said...

I'm just a mere mortal who is handy with a wrench! Ha. Good idea about someone here in the blogsphere having that part. Happy pugging Jen.

Anonymous said...

hurray for ron. i hate upselling too, i know what i need and what i don't need. at@t wanted to upsell me a package to have phone, internet and cable together and when i told the customer service person that i didn't have cable, she laughed and i didn't, then she said... you're not joking? it was inconceivable to speak to someone without cable. glad you're up and running