6.30.2008

A few photo's


Here are some shots of things..........
Here are some boxes. I would really like to have a bunch of these and then be able to hold back 3 of the best ones for a good photo...that's what I'm working towards. I love making boxes.

I decided to get right back to my handles for serving dishes. These are the one's I use to make for all my casserole dishes. I like them and I like the way they look but this porcelain body has changed since my years using it in grad school and I have problems with it splitting sometimes right where they handle folds over. It never did this before but now........very frustrating. So that is why for the last few years I've tried other handles. Maybe I just need to pull it another way..........hummmmm

New mugs. Always new shapes, ideas, and sometimes surface. I use my mugs for experiments sometimes.










Last but not least, Emily asked me if I was going to show anymore of my "kids plates". I found some more photo's I had taken on my camera so I thought I'd put these two up. These are both in the first stages of all I did to the plates. I like this stage the best and wished they had come out looking like this! I also wanted to say that each plate had a saying on the back as to what I could remember the girls had said about each drawing they did. They where trilled when I brought in two of the plates the other night for dinner ( they where 2nds of course). Each of them remembered the drawings that where on the plates and wanted to see more. Regrettably many of the plates did not make it through the multiple firing for various reason. Many of them I just did not like how they looked. I do have to say it is an idea and surface application that maybe I'll come back to another time.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen..
Those plates are pretty cool.. I am always amazed at how spontaneous kids drawings are and how they know when to stop fussing with them.

Tracey Broome said...

Jen:
I would be interested in seeing what you didn't like about the firings. I really love these plates. I would like to "borrow" your idea for grandmother Christmas gifts this year. I have some great drawings Wesley did when she was small. Might like to experiment with some image transfer. I have a friend that just got back from a workshop, hmmm.....

Anonymous said...

Jen - I really like these and think it is a great way to capture your children's artistic endeavors in your own work. Speaks about you as a potter AND a mom. You should keep it up. They are so happy to look at - puts a smile on your face.

Jen Mecca said...

Thanks guys..we'll see what happens!


Tracey, please feel free to to do your own. jen

Becky said...

In my theater days we had a saying --- kids and animals always steal the show. I love the mugs and the boxes but those "kids plates" blow me away. There's just something in the way a child's imagination works that draws adults in. Maybe because we remember that incredible freedom?

Anyway, all are great! I'm enjoying reading your posts!

Kate Frichtl said...

I am loving your kid plates! I have a friend who is a potter here and she makes kid size mugs with very cute designs on them. Chloe broke hers but I will try to take a picture of Jack's and either email it to you or post it on my blog. Do you make any kid size anything? They are huge sellers here.

Jen Mecca said...

Hey Kate!
No I don't do any kid stuff. I guess for a long time I just figured most folks would'nt want to take the risk of kids breaking stuff. But....who knows. So far my kids really have'nt broke that many pots( really Joey breaks more....HUMMMMMMMMM).
Send me some shots!
Hope you all are doing well. Send me some photo's of the kids. Jen

Deb said...

Hi Jen. I had some similar issues with handles cracking on some porcelain. If they were exposed to any air drying it was almost instant. I had some success with waxing the handle after I attached it. Worth a try?
Deborah Woods
themudpot.blogspot.com

Vicki Gill, potter said...

Hey Jen, I can get those pieces to you in Aug. Did you all decide on a theme for the Pullen show?

I didn't make the video. A friend came and did it for her own use back in her studio, but then edited it and sent it to me.