6.22.2008

New tool

I stopped by my local clay supply store last week and picked up a new little Mud tool that I had not seen before. I really don't buy a whole lot of tools because I find that most of the times when I do get something new I just go back to my old stand-bys that I learned on about 15 years ago - needle tool, metal rib, sponge, one double sided ribbon tool for trimming and a sharp edge wooden tool that I have no idea what the name of it is.
Anyways, this little sponge/rib intrigued me so I got one. The first day I used it last week when it was new and dry was pretty cool but then when I added water..wow , it was like one of those sea-monkeys you can get in the dollar store that can go from a small spounge into a life size creature.( Of course I like the drama of just saying that........you get the picture.) Once this rib ballooned up, it allowed me to do some other cool things. I have purchased a few of Micheal Sherill's ribs and do use them every once in a while. All the Mud tools looks really cool and I love the bright colors. I try to encourage my students to buy some when they feel the need for more tools. ( Some of them have AMAZING tool collections!) I think Emily Murphy has a recent post about Mug tools as well. She has a great blog so check it out if you get a chance.
Note : If you have'nt seen Micheal Sherill's work in awhile check out the link for the Ferrin Gallery. His work is so wonderful and I regret I missed a workshop with him a few years ago. I would love to see some of these pieces upclose one day.

1 comment:

Judi Tavill said...

I have 2 of those sponges and love them... and his ribs are my favorite 4 diff colors!!!