2.16.2010

Craft buddies

The other night at dinner my Dad, Joey and I where talking about the new Kindles that where coming out. My Dad is a HUGE lover of books and we joke alot in my family about how the ceiling below his office is going to cave in one day because he has just stacks and stacks of books. He loves information, reading, art and politics. Back in the 70's he co-wrote a publication that talked about trends in higher education. He does a lot of consulting on this subject as well as writing grants now that he's retired. Since he loves to write and is full of all sorts of wisdom, I am trying to talk him into starting a blog of his own on education and the future/trends in this field. As for the netbook idea...he told us that he'll never give up buying books, but he does like the blog idea!

So since we all like to blog I thought I should point out that on my blog list you'll see that I don't only have potters listed. In fact today my very good friend Betty McKim who is a jeweler sent me the link to her new blog. Betty and I go way back and pretty much all the jewelry I own was created by Betty. She too attended ECU and has grown twin boys. She has also worked her way through trying to be a Mom and a crafts person through the years. Before I was a Mom, I can think back on all the experience she went through and put them to good use now that I'm dealing with the same issues. She gets a kick out seeing me deal with young children/twins now that hers are grown and out of the house.


If you get a chance , check out Betty blog. Her husband is also a great painter and they both have some interesting ideas/experiences to share.

Time to go work on some boxes in my studio!

8 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

We are a huge book family too. I am always surprised when I go into people's homes and there are no books anywhere. We have stacks of them everywhere. Wesley is mortified by the idea of the electronic books. her books are her prize possessions. I'm not sure how I feel about them yet. I hope your dad does start a blog, he sounds very interesting!

Tracey Broome said...

Jen: the link for Betty is not working for me.....I get an error message.

laura weant johnson said...

yea, betty's blogging!!! i can't wait to read it...

Jen Mecca said...

Fixed it Tracey, thanks...try again! Jen

Brian said...

Very cool!
Betty works at the art center where I do my pottery!

Judi Tavill said...

ummm plates?

Mitch said...

Wow, your friend knows craftsmanship and art. I love the jewelry. I wish you well in all your endeavors. By the way, it might interest you too to have your own free and easy to manage hobbies' forum. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

before you even got to it i thought... your dad should start a blog. go dad, go dad, go dad. nice jewelry from betty