9.10.2007

Soup


All last week before our trip I was battling a sore throat by taking lots of zinc and different kinds of herbs. I thought I had cured myself but Saturday at the beach it all traveled to my lungs..........so, needless to say tomorrow I'm off to the doctors.( Boy I have not had a good start of the school year sickness wise!) Today as I was coughing my brains out and telling myself not to lay down and rest but keep working in the studio.To keep myself on task, I did I take a little soup break. It did taste so great and having it in such a fun bowl made it all the worth the wait of cooking it.

This bowl that we own was made by Ronan Peterson who was just in a show with the Circle of Eight group in my home town last month. I met Ronan a few years ago in Raleigh and this year I got to hang out with him and trade "wares" at the Larkspur show that I do every year.

I was having a lot of good thoughts about making bowls and the function of them today so I think that is why I choose to stop working and eat some soup. Just this morning another one of my favorite bowls got broken in the sink and I was lamenting to myself how if it had just been a bit more substantial of a piece, it would of survived having another bowl thrown down on it. The more I make pots and look at other ceramic people work, the more I really like a hearty, thick piece of pottery. Ronan's piece here is very fun but also hearty..no chipping, no thin rims for knocking.

Because I do work in Porcelain, my students always expect my work to be very thin. I have explained a numbered of times that at one point this was my focus with the clay body but as time went on ( as a functional potter) I felt like my true way of throwing was much more heavy handed and for years now I have gone in this direction.

Boy, just looking at the photo of the soup in this great bowl just makes me want to have another right now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen!
I hope you don't mind me leaving comments like I'm already your friend... :-)
A bowl of warm soup comforts me especially when I don't feel well also.
As part of Japanese customs, some dishes such as rice bowls and some soup bowls are made to be hold in your hand when you eat. So I always try to make those thinner and lighter as possible, but for the rest, I like heavy, thick ones, too.
Please get well soon!!

Jen Mecca said...

Hi Ziggy,
( please write whenever, it would be nice to have a pal in Japan!)
I am firmilar with the Japanese rice bowls and teabowls. The function of holding a warm liquid in your hand most certainly calls for a light bowl..you are so right! I guess that since I have young children always dropping dirty dishes in the sink, the thought of hearty bowls came to my mind.
Today I am feeling better! I'm sure it was the soup!Jen