9.03.2007

Start of Front/door edge


Here is the front of the kiln for the most part. Ann had this great door that rolled up to the kiln but we were unable to bring it back here due to the weight of the steel that held it together. This really didn't bother me because I use to always brick up the door to the kilns I used at school and that is what I plan to do to this one. We had to change a few of the bricks around and preparation for the bricked up door as well as making more room on the kiln pad. Once again, the numbering system and photo's really helped because the whole front of the kiln made no sense to me if I had to have done this on my own.

5 comments:

Ron said...

That looks really great Jen and Joey. I can't wait to get my first soda fired pot.

Anonymous said...

How do you do, Jen! My name is Yuko and I live in Japan. I was searching "Pottery blog" and it lead me to your blog.
I'm taking a pottery class for a little over 2 years now, and I'm so impressed that you're building your own kilm. It looks very professional.
I can't wait to see the completed one, and of course your cool products.

Jen Mecca said...

Yuko,
I'm so happy to be getting someone all the way from Japan reading my blog! Good luck with your pottery adventures. I know you are most likely getting a great education being that your in Japan where this all started!
Thanks so much for your comment and keep checking in for progress with the kiln.
Jen

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Mecca,

Everything is looking so good. What a wild time that had to be with the kids and all. I may use these photos when I talk about Roman engineering in my Art Hist class. This is a great way to show how an arch is formed. Can't wait to see it finished!
Amy E.

Jen Mecca said...

It was amazeing that we did'nt lose our cool with them the entire time.
I think Quaid has relised that Daddy is a bit more easy going when he's had a glass of wine because Monday afternoon after lunch Joey had his one glass and when it was empty Quaid took it back inside when we were'nt paying attention and came out playing waiter with more wine for his Dad. ( At that point I was the one really making sure the numbers all added up.)j