9.15.2008

A few more thoughts

Monday nights for me means class time. I told everyone all about my adventures at the conference and brought a poster to show them all the work in the show.


Everything has still been fresh in my mind. I even did a demo on a dry thrown plate that Ayumi Horie demonstrated. Today was a great day in my studio and I got so much done for our up coming show this weekend.


Conference Thoughts/Observations.


I wanted to report from the conference some overwhelming themes that came to mind while I was dashing in and out of the demo's. Lots of talk was given to the web and how its really hot right now in selling and promoting one's work. The next theme and how we all need to go green with our work ( boy, that is a big one!) and third, what I would like to talk about today is just my own quiet observation that I know I've said before - likeness of ones work to there personality.

I'm always intrigued how most potters fit the pots they make. I really enjoy seeing the person behind a pot that I love. I guess the majority of the buying public feels the same way. For this reason alone, those people that have galleries or store fronts at their home I think must do pretty well. People enjoy interacting with the person who has made the object they want to use or have in their home.


Here are some examples of people's work who where presenters at the conference that I had never met before. Once I listened to them speak or saw what they finally looked like, the connection between the object and the artist became clear to me.


Victoria Christan's pots are colorful and fun and so animated. A few minutes listening to Victoria and she had me smiling and feeling easy about being in the same room with her. Very bouncy and colorful. She also fires these in a salt kiln at Cone 6, which I would like to do with my work.


Ursala Hargens work is also fun, colorful with a bit of seriousness in form but quirky at first glaze. I could really connect to Ursala because she is a mom with young children getting ready to move her studio home because her family needs her. I could tell when she spoke of this issue that it tore at her and I felt so connected to her feelings. The good news about this was I think there are many more females today trying to make pots and be a mom/wife, so I'm curious to hear more stories about making this work.


Lorna Meaden spoke about how people always come tell her that her pots remind them of Alice in Wonderland or that they are cute. She really didn't like this compliment and was hilarious when she spoke about this. I too always have people tell me this about my work but I guess I don't take it in a bad way if they enjoy the work. I think I've learned that the source of a comment matters to you, not the comment. I'm sure if one of my instructors years ago said my work had been Cute, I would of gone off in a corner to cry. Since customers tell me this I just feel good that they want my piece in there home. I really enjoyed Leana demo's as well because she was very Witty and I could see this in her pieces.


I'm going to have to stop there for the day. I have pieces of my own to finish and look like something out of a Disney cartoon.

PS....yes, yes I hate to admit it but I can not find my camera anywhere, so I'm covering up by posting already posted photo's from the web. AH!!! Very fustrating.

If you want to see some great photo's from the conferance go to Tracy Broomes blog, she has some great ones.

3 comments:

Deb said...

I can really appreciate your post today. It's interesting because I just had a shopkeeper say to me yesterday that my work is kind of yin/yang. It's not the first time someone has observed something similar about my work. I have also been told that my work is hard with a softness to it and that it is a mix of feminine and masculine. I find these comments interesting because I would probably describe myself with the same words, as would many others I think. Fascinating.

Jen Mecca said...

That's cool/interesting. I"m going to have to go back and look at your work again. And see if I agree. I love to play this "meet the potter" game. What else is really neat is going to someplace like Penland and before classes start you can already in the lunch room pick out who is a woodworker, who's a weaver ect. I love to watch people.
Take care, thanks for the commment. Jen

Pottery said...

I wonder if my customers see "big, hairy (but balding), middle-aged, elementary school art teacher dude" when they look at my work. I'll have to ask around.

Apple Bakers