5.23.2007

Boxes and birthdays

Monday the 28th is my birthday and for my 40th birthday this year my husband saved up money for us to take our first real vacation since our honeymoon. We are going to NY City and can't wait. Vacations are so important I've decided. Its like the importance of playing for kids, adults need to as well. We have done a few shows together that have gotten us away from the kids and of course family vacations but not one with just the two of us having fun for the last 7 years. So...my brain has been getting ready for that this week and I guess since its my birthday I have been transfixed on making boxes in my studio! My intermediate class asked to do boxes this session and we have explored many. The last one they wanted to see are those really labor intensive boxes that Micheal Simon makes. They are square, thrown in two pieces, cut with a flange added and than they have paddled feet. I own a little one by him that is very plain, no slip work and paid $75 for it. At the time I thought I paid what I did for it because, well he was Micheal Simon but now that I've been making them I see why you need to charge so much for them. I'm not even sure I'm going to be able to sell them for what I need to price them at, but its been a good exercise for me and I've enjoyed it. I'll get some photo's of those and some others that I made this week up on the blog soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey enjoy nyc- my son sam's 7th bday is may 28th!!!!
judi

Jen Mecca said...

Hope Sam has a good birthday. I know lots of people who have my same birthday and 3 of them are potters with kids! Strange.............